Fresno Pacific University closed out the 2018 Pacific Collegiate Swimming and Diving Conference (PCSC) Championships February 17, 2018, at Splash! Aquatics Center, La Mirada, as the Sunbirds finished second in both the men's and women's standings. FPU highlighted the day with six victories and three school records to close out the meet.
Inside the meet
How it happened
• Laura Fornshell won the 1650 free with a time of 16:34.31 (A-cut), which crushed her own school record and ranks third in Division II. Hannah Freeman followed in sixth at 17:19.59, good for third all-time at FPU.
• Olga Melnikova took second in the 200 backstroke with a touch of 2:02.17 (B-cut). Shelbi Hayzlett followed in fourth at 2:03.49, which moves her to fourth all-time in program history.
• Samantha Woo took fourth in the 100 free with a time of 51.43 (B-cut). The time jumps her to third in the top-5 at FPU.
• Olga Tovstogan touched second in the 200 breast at 2:13.63, which is an automatic qualifying time for the NCAA Championships and is third in program history. Daria Belova was third at 2:15.13.
• Bavindeep Basra picked up another individual victory, this time in the 200 fly (2:03.37).
• The 400-free relay capped off an incredible meet with a school record time of 3:25.14 to bring home a victory.
• The women finished with 1,319 points in second, while UCSD won with 1,620.5 points.
• Michael Chiodo took second in the 1650 free at 16:00.82 (B-cut), while Nathan Bruner was sixth with a time of 16:21.34.
• Andrew Murch impressed in the 200 back with a time of 1:49.90 (B-cut) in second and Kyle Jones was third at 1:50.80. Murch jumps to third all-time at FPU. Dakota Loew-Garrelts took fifth at 1:53.99 in the heat as well.
• Dmitry Belolipetskiy won the 100 free with a time of 44.12, which set a new school record and is an NCAA B-cut. Austin Hussain touched in seventh (46.45) and Luka Barisic was eighth (46.73).
• Matheus Misquito was fourth in the 200 breast (2:06.03). He also went 2:05.71 in the prelims.
• Aleksei Averchenko was second in the 200 fly (1:49.29), while Collin Moore was third (1:50.02).
• Iskender Baslakov picked up his second individual title of the meet, as he won the 100 IM at 49.69.
• The meet was then closed out by the men's 400-free relay winning with a time of 2:58.79.
• The Sunbirds closed with 1,577 points, which was just behind UCSD at 1,710 points.
Beyond the heat sheet
• Fornshell was named the Women's Swimmer of the Meet, Averchenko earned the Men's Co-Swimmer of the Meet, and Josh Christensen was named the Men's Coach of the Meet.
• A few Sunbirds will head to the UNLV Last Chance meet on Saturday, February 24 in hopes to qualify for the NCAA Championships.