The sound of brass will ring in the 20th season of the Pacific Artist Series—and the first public concert in the new Warkentine Culture and Arts Center—at Fresno Pacific University.
Artisans in Brass will perform at 3:00 p.m. Sunday, September 25, 2202, in the Elizabeth V. Lyles Theater in the Culture and Arts Center on the main FPU campus, 1717 S. Chestnut Ave., Fresno. Special admission will be $5 for all audiences, payable at the door or online at Pacific Artist Series: Artisans in Brass Tickets, Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 3:00 PM | Eventbrite
As well as being open to the community, the performance is also part of Gather ’22, four days of activities connecting the FPU community and alumni, and will include a brief dedication. More on Gather at fpu.edu/gather
The Pacific Artists Series is FPU’s flagship cycle of concerts, bringing a variety of musical styles and genres to Fresno and its community. Notable performers have included Janai Brugger (soprano), Rong-Huey Liu (oboe), Francesca Dego (violin), Eugene Friesen (cello), Ruta Bloomfield (harpsichord), Andrew Funk (bass) and Del Sol Quartet. FPU music faculty and alumni have also presented concerts. The series was founded by Walter Biddle Saul II, D.M.A., music emeritus, and is now directed by Christa Pehl, Ph.D., assistant professor of music.
Artisans in Brass has performed at universities, churches and in other public venues across the U.S. This ensemble of Christian professionals exalts Jesus and plays the finest brass literature, while having fun along the way. The repertoire features five centuries of sacred, classic and popular music. The music is available on streaming services and Amazon. (More at artisansinbrass.com/)
- George Dougherty, D.M.A., trumpet, is director of bands and coordinator of instrumental music at FPU. He has performed with the Greensboro and Winston-Salem Symphonies, Market Street Brass and Stratford Brass and has taught at Piedmont Bible College (now Carolina University), Guilford College, Faith Baptist Bible College and Theological Seminary and Simpson College.
- Fred Powell, trumpet, has performed with Boston Brass, Fiddler on the Roof, the Savannah Symphony, Florida Symphony, Jacksonville Symphony, Brevard Orchestra, Orlando Brass Quintet, Indianapolis Symphonic Band, Advocate Brass Band and Golden State Brass Band. A co-founder of the National Trumpet Competition, he now serves as associate director and executive board member.
- Corey Dawson, tuba, served in some of the U.S. Army’s finest bands, including the Army Europe Band and the Army Ground Forces Band. He also helped form “Shell Shock,” a tuba/euphonium quartet which traveled extensively throughout the Eastern U.S., and was an instructor at the Armed Forces School of Music.
- Rick Nichols, D.M.A., horn, is dean of fine arts and communication at Butler Community College. Formerly, he was the director of SoundForth, a sacred music publishing company. Rick has been principal horn of the Cape Philharmonic Orchestra, South Africa, and section horn with the U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” Washington, D.C.
- Dave Brown, D.M.A., trombone, teaches at Maranatha Baptist University, where he conducts the symphonic band and the madrigal choir. His expertise in both choral and instrumental conducting keeps him active as a clinician and adjudicator. He has also served several churches as a minister of music.
- Pacific Artist Series at Pacific Artist Series | Fresno Pacific University
- FPU music program at Music | Fresno Pacific University
- FPU visual and performing arts at fresno.edu/arts